Snapchat is known for its disappearing messages. When a sender or receiver leaves the chat room their messages automatically get deleted. For many, this feature is very helpful as the app doesn’t record any of your chat histories. But sometimes you need those previous chat records for some important reasons. It could be a memorable chat with your close ones or some important contact details you need to get back, So in this guide, we’ll show you some methods to recover your old chats.
- 1 Why Recovering Chat backup on Snapchat is Difficult.
- 2 Methods to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on Andriod’s phone
- 3 Method to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on iPhone
- 4 Conclusion
Why Recovering Chat backup on Snapchat is Difficult.
Snapchat has always taken measures to protect its user’s chats, photos, and videos. Snapchat’s disappearing messages have mixed opinions among users. The real reason why recovering messages on Snapchat is difficult is the platform uses an ephemeral messaging system.
Ephemeral messages are a unique type of massage that is automatically destructed once they are seen or viewed. Therefore soon after the receiver views the message it automatically gets deleted once the receiver leaves the chatbox. But Snapchat has also added a twist to this feature, Where senders can control how long a message will last in someone’s chatbox. This is a unique feature that is not seen on a lot of social media platforms.
Another benefit of automatically deleting messages is you can save a lot of space on your storage and you don’t have to delete those messages manually. Other popular messaging platforms like Whatsapp and Telegram store all of you’re messages thus consuming a lot of space on your storing When you want to free up some space you have to manually delete these messages which could be frustrating.
There are also some downsides to Snapchat’s automatic disappearing messages, You have to be very focused and attentive while reading any informative message. Cause there’s a chance that you can forget an important phone number or any other credential information.
Therefore to solve this issue we’ve provided some methods that can help you recover you’re old Snapchat messages.
Methods to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on Andriod’s phone
This method is for Andriod users, You need to follow all the steps mentioned below to get effective results.
1. Open the Device’s Cache Folder and Read Deleted Messages.
Android’s cache memory stores temporary files to avoid loading and lagging problems, So every time you close the app it automatically saves some of the data to your cache folder So that the next time you try to launch the app it can open quickly avoiding delay.
So here we want to recover those deleted messages from the cache folder by connecting your phone to a computer.
- Use a USB cable to connect your phone to your computer/laptop.
- Once your phone is properly connected to your computer open the device’s setting folder and look for a folder named ‘Andriod’.
- Now under the ‘Andriod’ folder, you can see a folder named ‘Data’ open.
- Under the ‘Data’ folder you can find a file named ‘com.snapchat.andriod’ open it.
- Under that file, you can see the ‘Cache’ folder open the folder and click on the ‘Recover’ folder under it.
Once you reach this folder you can easily find and access your deleted messages. But remember you can only recover the most recent messages with this method.
2. Recover Messages Through File Manager.
If you don’t have a computer/laptop you can still recover your recently deleted messages through this method.
- Launch the file manager application on your phone, If you don’t have a file manager app you can easily download one for free from the Play Store.
- Once you open the file manager go to ‘Internal Storage’
- Tap on ‘Essentials’ and select ‘All’
- Click on the search icon which appears on the top of the screen.
- You can directly search ‘Snapchat’ or can manually locate the folder via this path ‘Android>Data>com.Snapchat.android’s this path varies from device to device. Still, this is the most common path followed by the majority of devices.
- Once you find the folder click on ‘Snapchat’ and rename all the files with the ‘.nomedia’ extension.
- Once you finish renaming all the files you can able to open all of your recent messages.
3. Request Snapchat to Recover Your Messages.
Snapchat is very supportive when it comes to retrieving your messages, Cause the platform understands that you could lose any important information that was once shared through your account. Therefore they have set up a data recovery page where you can easily restore all of your messages, photos, and videos. Follow the steps mentioned below to use this method.
- Go to Snapchat’s my data page and enter the account credentials.
- Once you signed in to your account you can see a list of data options that can be recovered, select the item that you want to recover from the list.
- Once you select the options click on the ‘Submit request’ button.
- After that Snapchats admins will go into your account’s archive and pull out all the available data that you asked for.
- After that, you will receive the data in a zip file via E-mail.
- Download the zip file and extract the file in a preferred folder.
- Now open the extracted folder and navigate to a file named ‘Mydata’
- Open the file and click on the index.html file.
- Now you can access all of your Snapchat messages.
4. Use a Third-party Recovery Tool.
If the methods mentioned above don’t work for you then you can also try using a third-party application. We would recommend you to use the ‘Andriod data recovery tool’
- Download and install ‘Andriod data recovery tool’ on your computer/laptop
- Open the application and click on ‘Data recovery’
- Connect your mobile phone to your computer/laptop
- Once your device is connected to the software you can see a list of data types that you can recover.
- Check the ‘message’ box and click ‘next’.
- Now click on ‘Recover all files’ and click ‘next’
- Now the application will scan for all the deleted messages that can be recovered. And once the scan is finished you need to click on the ‘Recover’ button next to the file to save it to your computer.
These methods work on Android devices to recover deleted Snapchat messages. We have also written an article about how you can recover deleted Facebook messages.
Method to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on iPhone
You can use third-party applications to recover all of your recent Snapchat messages, To recover those messages you need to use a data recovery tool on your iPhone.
1. Recover Through Fone Lab.
Fone lab is one of the best data recovery tools for iOS devices. With the help of this device, you can easily recover data even from a dead device.
- Download and install Fone Lab on your Computer/laptop
- Connect your iPhone to your computer/laptop
- Once the application is connected to your iPhone you will see a ‘Start Scan’ button on your phone’s screen, Tap on this button to start the process
- Once the process is finished you can see the complete list of recoverable items on your screen.
- Select the Snapchat messages and click on recover.
And that’s how you can easily and safely recover all of the recent Snapchat messages on your phone.
Snapchat’s disappearing messages provide privacy and scrutiny to their users, Still by Using any of these methods you can easily recover all of your Snapchat’s deleted messages very easily.